Workshop
Ask a question

How to repair a water-damaged wall?

nila
Finding My Feet

How to repair a water-damaged wall?

Hi I had damage occur to a bedroom wall as some water came through a window. The window has now been fixed so I’d like to restore the wall. The water caused some damage to a section of the paint as well as a thin (1 or 2 mm) white smooth layer underneath the paint which sits on top of the render. The white layer has fallen off in some sections. I think it is plaster which is smoothing out the rougher render underneath. I would like to repair the white layer  so that it sits flush with the rest of the wall ready for painting. I was wondering what the white layer is and how I should go about it? 

IMG_1644.jpeg

IMG_1643.jpeg

  

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to repair a water-damaged wall?

Hi @nila,

Thank you for your question on repairing plaster over a rendered wall.

You are correct that the white layer over the render is plaster. It is there to give the wall a smooth finish prior to painting.

To carry out this repair effectively, you will require two buckets, a drill, a mixing paddle, a hawk, a plaster trowel and a paint brush.

Have a look at the D.I.Y article How To White Set Internal Render for advice on how to carry out the repair.

It requires quite a few tools that aren't common unless you've done this work before, so it may be worth considering the services of a plasterer for the repair.

If you'd like to carry out the repair yourself, I am happy to provide further advice.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects