Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What support do I need for a melamine shelf?

dcjames55
Finding My Feet

What support do I need for a melamine shelf?

I'm looking to add some shelves to my empty built-in wardrobe. I'm trying to keep cost down so plan to use melamine shelves but don't know how I should connect it to the walls?

Would I be best to attach wooden supports to the wall and the sit the melamine on top of that and screw it in or are metal brackets the way to go? I don't know how sturdy these options will be the shelves will be about 1600mm wide and 450mm deep.

I would like them to be sturdy enough to hold books as the plan is to convert the wardrobe to a bookshelf.

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What support do I need for a melamine shelf?

Hi @dcjames55,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it's great to have you with us. Also, thank you for your question.

My main area of concern in your circumstance is that the weight of the books would cause the melamine to sag in the middle over time.

For this reason, I would suggest you use a combination of both metal brackets and wooden supports. You could attach 42 x 19mm 1.8m DAR Pine Premium to either side of the wardrobe carcass for the melamine to sit on, then attach 2 suitable shelf brackets to the back wall of the wardrobe facing towards the front at even spacing. Whichever brackets you choose, ensure they extend at least 300mm off the back wall to ensure the weight is supported in all areas to prevent sagging. 

Let me know if you have any further questions or would like some guidance moving forward.

Jacob

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Afternoon @dcjames55 

Just to add to @JacobZ's suggestion about using the DAR (I would have two either end of the shelf screwed intothe timber studs and then a long one across the area into studs as well. That way the shelf can just sit on it.

Consider a vertical post or two to support the shelf as well. Shelves that dont have them always stand out with that "sag" in the middle. Even if we intend to only have certain things on a shelf it somehows ends up carrying theharbour bridge :smile:

Dave

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @dcjames55 

Here are some images to get you inspired. Let me call on some of our experienced members @Nailbag@DIY4Knuckleheds@Renowayoflife and @woodalwaysworks for their ideas regarding your shelf. 

Eric

dcjames shelf 1.jpgdcjames shelf 2.jpgdcjames shelf 3.jpgdcjames shelf 4.jpgdcjames shelf 5.jpg

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Nailbag
Making a Splash

Hi @dcjames55 I would use 4 "stayed" shelf brackets in white as these will provide the strongest and most stable solution. Position the outside ones around 100mm in from the ends and two more in even spacing in-between. The desired position of the shelves and brackets in an ideal world will line up with the studs to give you the strongest and easiest fixing solution. In reality, you might be lucky to strike one. But these multipurpose fasteners  will provide ample strength to the brackets where studs can't be found.

Regards, Nailbag

dcjames55
Finding My Feet

Thanks for all the advive.

I think I'll go with this layout:

dcjames shelf 3.jpg

Products:

Shelves - https://www.bunnings.com.au/custompine-16mm-1800-x-445mm-e1l-system-32-hd-shelving-white-carcass-mat...

Edge supports - https://www.bunnings.com.au/42-x-19mm-3-0m-dar-pine-premium_p8401459

Brackets - https://www.bunnings.com.au/carinya-400-x-350-x-25-x-3-5mm-stayed-straight-bracket-single-white_p397...

I'll screw all the supports into the studs for the best support. what scres should I be using?

Hi @dcjames55,

I'd recommend you use these Zenith 10G x 75mm Zinc Plated Countersunk Head Wood Screws for your brackets. For the end supports, you could use Zenith 10G x 50mm Gold Passivated Countersunk Head Timber Screws. Remember to pre-drill the timber supports and studs with a 4.5mm drill bit.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Great, Thanks.

What about attaching the shelf to the supports and brackets?

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @dcjames55,

I've used these Zenith 8G x 13mm White Button Head Screws before for this exact purpose. They work great as they're long enough to get good bite on the melamine, but not too long to punch through the top.

Let us know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Thanks everyone fo the help.

First time using this site and it has been super helpful.

I'm sure I'll use it again soon.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects