Workshop
Ask a question

How to fix kitchen cupboard corner door?

Christinesteinm
Just Starting Out

How to fix kitchen cupboard corner door?

Hi

my kitchen corner cupboard door is leaning forward at the top touching the other door how do I fix it 

image.jpg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: fix kitchen cuboard corner door

Hi @Christinesteinm,

Thank you for your question and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is great to have you with us.

I would start by assessing whether the hinges have failed in any way. If the movement is more difficult than it was before, or you can see that a screw has pulled out, it may require replacement of the hinges. I am hopeful that this is not the case and your hinges have just moved slightly over time and just require adjustment.

If you have a look at the hinges that connect the door on the right side of the corner to the cabinet carcass, you will see some adjustment screws similar to those I have circled in the below photo.

These screws allow for slight adjustment in or out and left to right. 

Looking at the way the adjoining cabinet door is leaning, I would suggest that you need to adjust the top hinge on the door to the right of the corner in slightly. You may just need to play around with them slightly to work out which direction things need to move as not all cabinet hinges are exactly the same.

Let me know how you go and if you require further assistance.

Jacob

Is it possible to scrap the twin door set up and hinge each door separately.

Remove the piano hinge and the weak wobbly side hinges and install pin hinges like a fridge door?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @mariomanders 

Technically speaking yes, it would be possible to modify the cabinetry and doors so that you can use a piano and pin hinge. But it will not look nice or open in the same manner. However, before you make any changes, would it be possible for you to post a photo of your current hinges, including the ones that are holding both door panels? This will give our members a better idea of what hinges your cabinet is using.

Due to the way a corner door swings it needs to lift off the cabinet panel and be able to turn in a 165-degree arc for full extension. This is what a Hafele Salice 165° Hinge Full Overlay Clip On does and when these hinges are not adjusted properly, they sometimes look like they are failing. I suggest having a peek and see if it can still be adjusted.

When they do fail replacing a set is fairly straight forward. It's always best to bring your old hinge to the store and compare it to the new one just to make sure that the mounting points are the same. The new Hafele Salice hinges are much more robust and have been tested up to 200,00 cycles.  

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks , not so much a fix, just me hating those doors. 
If I strip the piano hinge off completely and use over and under  pin hinges on both doors on the outer edges. 
Does Bunnings supply such hinges ?  

Hi @mariomanders,

I have concerns that standard hinges will not allow your doors to function correctly, as due to tight tolerances, they can't be mounted appropriately. Cabinet hinges are used so the hinge side clears the door next to it when opening. A standard hinge would cause the door to jam. However, perhaps I am not familiar with what an over-and-under-pin hinge is, as I haven't come across that term before. 

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects