Workshop
Ask a question

How to repair and prevent bathroom door paint peeling?

rev1
Just Starting Out

How to repair and prevent bathroom door paint peeling?

Hi there, attaching images of my washroom door where paint at the bottom of the washroom is peeling away due to water from every time the washroom is cleaned. Appreciate some suggestions and help on how to fix it and how to prevent it. Thank you.

1000037870.jpg

1000037869.jpg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to repair and prevent bathroom door bottom paint issue

Hi @rev1,

Thanks for your question and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community.

I would suggest that the issue is because the bottom of the door wasn't painted before installation. This allows water to get into the door causing swelling, delamination and paint to chip off like in your case.

Start with taking the door down by unscrewing the hinges from the frame, leaving the hinges connected to the door. Once the door is off, remove any flaking paint using a combination of a paint scraper such as Trojan 6 In1 Multi Paint Scraper and sanding with a medium grit sandpaper such as 120 Grit Timber Sandpaper Roll. Apply an undercoat such as Dulux 1Step Prep Primer, Sealer & Undercoat 1L, allow it to fully dry, then add two coats of paint such as Dulux 500ml Vivid White Aquanamel Gloss Interior Exterior Paint, allowing the door to fully dry between coats. 

Once you are happy that the door is fully coated and a there is a good seal which will prevent further water ingress, rehang the door using the existing predrilled holes to line everything up. Check the swing of the door before finishing up.

You might like to check out How To Paint a Door for some more guidance on the process.

If you require further assistance, please let me know.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects